Role of the Planning Board
Massachusetts General Law, Chapter 41, Section 81A, authorizes the establishment of municipal Planning Boards. Among its many diverse roles, the Planning Board is charged with the following duties, paraphrased here from the Mass. General Law:
- Adopting a master plan and official map of the city or town.
- Conducting studies, and, when necessary, preparing plans of the resources, possibilities, and needs of the city or town for submittal to the Selectmen for their consideration.
- Serving as the local authority for the Subdivision Control Act; adopting Rules and Regulations governing the subdivision of land in the Town of Milton; reviewing all preliminary and definitive plan submittals.
- Drafting and submitting zoning amendments for consideration by the municipality. When a zoning amendment has been put forward, the Planning Board holds a public hearing and may report its recommendation to the local legislature.
- Serving, in some instances, as the special permit granting authority (i.e. Special Permit for Open Space Development).
- Serving as Site Plan Review Authority.
- Is always the "party of interest" in administrative appeals, special permit applications, and variance petitions within the municipality and in adjacent cities and towns.
- Under Mass. Gen. L. ch. 40, 15C, the Scenic Roads Act, the Planning Board is enabled to recommend roads for municipal consideration, and empowers the planning board to oversee specified activities.
The Planning Board typically meets the second and fourth Thursday of the month, unless posted otherwise.
Typically, meeting materials are made available by the Friday prior to a meeting. They can be accessed by clicking Planning Board Meeting Materials here or on the sidebar.
- Meredith Hall, Chair (2024)
- Jim Davis (2026)
- Sean Fahy, Member (2025)
- Margaret Oldfield, Member (2025)
- Cheryl Tougias, Secretary (2026)
Appointed By: Members are elected officials
Term: Three year terms
Agendas & Minutes
Agendas are available prior to the meetings. Minutes are available following approval.