Marriage License

Milton Town Clerk - Marriage Intentions

Marriage License (Intentions) are scheduled by Prior Appointment Only. Please contact the Office of the Town Clerk to schedule an appointment at 617-898-4859.

  • All Persons who marry in Massachusetts must have a Marriage License issued in Massachusetts.
  • The age requirement in Massachusetts is 18 years of age or older.
  • New Laws: Chapter 126 of the Acts of 2022 (Sections 81-88) (PDF) - This Act is effective October 26, 2022, and amends sections of Chapter 27, MGL "Marriage." 
  • To apply for a Marriage License both parties must appear together to complete the Marriage Intention.

We recommend applying for a license about a month before your ceremony wedding date.

Obtaining A Marriage License in Milton, Massachusetts

The legal age to marry in Massachusetts is 18 (M.G.L. ch. 207, s. 33A). All people who marry in the state must have a marriage license issued in Massachusetts by any city or town clerk (M.G.L. ch. 207, s. 28).

Proper identification is necessary. You may be required to show a certified birth certificate.

  • valid identification (this includes passports, driver's licenses, state IDs, or military IDs)
  • your Social Security numbers (if you do not have a Social Security number, you have to write down why - for example, it was never issued or you are not a resident)
  • your legal names, and what last name you will use after marriage
  • where you both live now
  • your dates of birth and where you were born
  • the names of your parents, including maiden names, and whether or not your parents were married when you were born
  • if you were previously married, we will need to know how many times, and
  • if you were previously married, we need to know the date you were divorced or see your annulment papers.
  • Residency Requirement: Do not have to be a resident of Massachusetts.
  • Application Requirement: Both the bride and groom must appear in person at the time of applying.

This requirement is applicable to both residents and non-residents of the Commonwealth. According to Massachusetts law, you must jointly file intentions to marry, and you may do so with the city or town clerk in any community in the state. If a person is in the military, intentions may be filed by either party, providing one is a Massachusetts resident. If a person is incarcerated in a county house of correction or a state correctional facility, intentions may be filed by either party.

If Divorced: You are not required to present a divorce certificate when filing intentions to marry. However, it is extremely important that an individual who has been divorced be certain that his/her divorce is absolute. If you are uncertain as to the absolute date of your divorce, you should contact the court where the divorce was granted. In Massachusetts, a divorce does not become absolute until 90 days after the divorce nisi has been granted, regardless of the grounds for divorce.

Waiting Period: 3 days. Sundays and holidays are included in the three days, but the day the application is made is not. For example, if you apply on Friday, your license will be issued on or after Monday. Check with your town clerk to determine whether you must pick it up in person, or if it can be mailed.

Obtaining a Waiver of the Waiting Period: Yes. According to MGL Ch. 27:30, if both parties are residents, or non-residents, or one of each, and they need to dispense with the three days, they may do so by applying to the judge of a probate or district court to have the license issued without delay, after filing intentions with the clerk. Under extraordinary or emergency circumstances, such as if the death of either party is imminent, an authorized request by a minister or clergy person or an attending physician shall suffice and the clerk can issue the certificate without delay.

Marriage License Cost

In Milton, the fee for issuance of a marriage license and completing the marriage intentions is $60, but varies from town to town.

Medical Certificate: No. No blood test required.

Name Change: Getting a marriage license with your new name on it does not mean your name has automatically changed, you can use an online marriage name change kit.

Solemnization Authority: Yes, it is possible for a non-minister or non-justice of the peace (such as a relative or family friend) to obtain special permission to perform a marriage from the Governor. Call the Governor's office at 617. 727. 5787 to obtain an application for a one-time special appointment to solemnize a marriage. After approval, a $25 fee is paid to the Commission's Division of the Office of the Secretary of the Commonwealth.

Same-Sex Marriages: Yes, in the Bay State same-sex marriages are legal.

Officiants: Ordained ministers of the gospel may perform marriages. Before performing marriages, ministers are require applications from the Commonwealth of Massachusetts website. You must file a copy of your ordination certificate and a statement from the church saying that you are in good standing. Ministers must keep records of all marriages they perform. Also, ministers must return a certificate of the marriage to the town clerk or registrar who issued the marriage license and to the town clerk of the town where the marriage was performed.

If an out-of-state member of the clergy is to perform the marriage, the clergy person must obtain a Certificate of Authorization from the Massachusetts Secretary of the Commonwealth prior to the ceremony. This certificate, which is issued by the Public Records Division of the Secretary of the Commonwealth, is to be attached to the original license and returned to the clerk of the city or town where the license was issued. For further information, contact:

  • Division of Public Records
    Secretary of the Commonwealth
    One Ashburton Place, Room 1719
    Boston, MA 02108

Officiant for a Day: In Massachusetts, a couple can choose to have a family friend or relative perform their wedding ceremony. In order to become a "Justice of the Peace" for a day, you must fill out an application from the Massachusetts Secretary of the Commonwealth. The process takes 4 to 6 weeks to complete.

After filling out the application and sending it back, you will then receive a letter from the Secretary of Commonwealth granting permission for the person to perform the wedding ceremony. The letter will give you further instructions to complete the procession.

Notary Publics cannot perform weddings in Massachusetts.

Valid: License is valid for 60 days.

Witnesses: Witnesses are not required.