Curbside Collection Information
How to set out carts and barrels for collection:
- Carts and barrels should be set out by 7 am on your scheduled pick up day and must be removed from the curb within 24 hours of being placed curbside.
- When placing out your carts, please do not block the sidewalk. Allow enough room for disabled persons to navigate the sidewalk using a wheelchair, walker, or guide dog, or for people using a baby carriage or walking a dog
- Keep carts 18 inches apart (for mechanical collection), and away from overhanging trees, carports, balconies, basketball hoops, and utility meters and gas and water lines. Allowing space in between your cart for the automated arm to grab will prevent carts and barrels being knocked over. This will help prevent carts from breaking and from trash/recycling be knocked from the carts onto the street.
- Please refer to the photo below on how to space your carts for curbside collection.
To ensure your trash is picked up:
- Trash, recycling, and yard waste should be set out by 7 am on your scheduled pickup day and must be removed from the curb within 24 hours of being placed curbside.
- Barrels should be no larger than 32 gallons and 40 pounds for the safety of sanitation workers.
- Rubbish stickers are $3 each and are required on all rubbish items not placed in Town trash carts. If you have other barrels, each barrel must have a sticker placed on the top item of trash inside the barrel. Bags not in a barrel or cart must have a sticker. View the Buying Trash Stickers page for trash sticker sale locations.
- Any single item weighing less than 40 pounds. such as a kitchen chair must have one $3 trash sticker attached.
- For households items that weigh in excess of 40 pounds, please see the How Do I Dispose of page.
To ensure your yard waste is picked up, please follow these guidelines:
- Ensure all yard waste is placed in barrels or a paper leaf bag.
- Barrels should be labeled Yard Waste in some way.
- Branches should be less than 4 inches in diameter and less than three feet in length.
- Branches may be bundled and securely tied with natural fiber string. Bundles should be under 40 pounds in weight.
- Grass clippings should be in paper bags or barrels labeled as "Yard Waste". Loose grass clippings will not be picked up.
- Yard waste in plastic bags will not be picked up.
For more information on recycling, see the Recycle Right Milton
We hope this website answers all your disposal and/or recycling questions, but if you need additional help, please call 617-898-4900.
Please remember to have your barrels, bins and bags out curbside by 7 am on your regular collection day.
For missed trash, recycling or yard waste collection issues please call the Milton DPW at 617-898-4900 and leave a message on DPW trash line. Please leave your name, address, and a description of the issue.
In 1991, Milton was one of the first Commonwealth communities to establish a Pay-As-You-Throw trash pick-up program. The sticker program helps offset the expenses the Town incurs for curbside trash, recycling, and yard waste pick-up. The DPW thanks all residents for their continued support and cooperation for this important program.
The old "town dump" is closed and is now part of Granite Links Golf Course. Residents now dispose of trash through the Town's curbside trash pickup program. There is no other way to dispose of trash for Milton residents.
Recycling is also picked up curbside on the same day as your trash. As of 2011, the Town of Milton has converted to a Single Stream recycling program. All recyclables can be put out curbside in one container without the need for sorting.
The Recycling Center (629 Randolph Avenue) is open the first Saturday of every month and accepts the following: books (free); metal items (free); and mercury-bearing items (free). There is a charge of $9 (3 trash stickers) for each TV or computer monitor brought to the Recycling Center. The Town does not offer curbside pickup for TV's or monitors. In addition, the Recycling Center accepts refrigerators (with doors removed), humidifiers, and air conditioners. There is a charge of 3 trash stickers, or $9, for each of these items. If you'd like to have a large appliance picked up curbside, there is an additional fee. For more information, please visit the Recycling Center page. Please note that the Recycling Center does not accept cash. You must pay with stickers.