Firearms Licensing is done by appointment only. Please do not drop off any paperwork or payments as they should be brought with you at your scheduled appointment. Please review the department's Firearms Packet (PDF) for complete information.
- How do I make an appointment?
Please click this link to book an appointment online. Please view the Firearms Licensing Packet Prior to making an appointment, as it contains all pertinent information.
- What are some common questions asked of the Firearms Record Bureau?
Please visit the Firearms Record Bureau website to view the frequently asked questions page.
- I forgot or lost my PIN number, how do I retrieve it?
You can now retrieve the PIN number for your active license to carry (LTC), firearms identification (FID) card, or machine gun license through the DCJIS by calling 617-660-4722 during normal business hours Monday through Friday from 8 am to 6 pm.
The following information is required:
- Date of birth
- Active LTC, FID card, or machine gun license number
- Driver's license number (for identity verification)
Questions other than retrieving the PIN number should be directed to the FRB at 617-660-4782.
- Is my license to carry good in other states?
As laws change frequently, especially firearms laws, it is good practice to contact the state police in which ever state you are traveling to see if a Massachusetts license to carry will be valid in that state.
- What kind of permit do I need to carry Chemical Propellant (Mace)?
Recent law changes made it possible for those 18 years of age and over to not need a special permit to possess, carry, or purchase Chemical Propellant. Those under 18 still require a Firearms Identification Card (FID).
- How do I change my address on my License to Carry?
You need to complete the Change of Address Form (PDF) from the Firearms Record Bureau website. Instructions are provided on the form.